Home » Featured, Training

The day after – Kona 2010

11 October 2010 7 Comments

It’s always a relief to wake up the day after testing yourself to find out where you limits are. It’s just a good feeling to wake up. Most guys my age get fatigued thinking about going hard for over eleven hours at anything. Let alone all the weather features Hawaii can throw at you in a day.

I can’t sit back licking my wounds using age as an excuse. Yesterday my old mate Lew Hollander of Oregan broke 16hrs in his first year in the 80+ category. Lew says that every year he gets a thorough check up, not from his doctor, he’s probably outlived a few of them. His annual check up is to see if he can finish the Hawaii Ironman. If he does that OK, then that’s a good enough sign that everything is working OK.

Yesterday, I positioned myself as well as you can with 1800 athletes for a mass start, I swam as fast as I could, as efficiently as I could. I came out of the water at the front of the age group (there were roughly 60 guys in the 60-64 group) I don’t know where they all came from, ten years ago there would have only been 20 in that cat.

I started the bike before the German who has won the category the last three times. He came past at about 3-4km into the bike. I would be blown up on the side of the road at 40km if I had of tried to go with him. I’m going to have to eat a lot more bratwurst over the next year. At least there were no sushi eaters ahead of me.

I rode as hard as I could, fed as well as I could and got off the bike in better shape than last year. It was not as hot as last year at the start of the run. I ran as fast and as efficiently as I could. As I came out of the “energy lab”, Sandy was there on her bike. She told me I was in 8th position and not far down the road were three others in my cat. She asked “do I feel like chasing?”

I felt I was doing all I could, but I thought why not have a go. I picked up the pace for about three km. I was gaining on the others, but THEN I PAID THE PRICE.

In the last three km, I wrote my retirement speech. This morning I have torn it up again.

I think Lew’s annual check up is a good idea. If you can finish the Hawaii Ironman then everything is still working OK

7 Comments »

• Rog said:

Haha you are never going to retire, you’re a tough old bastard!

• Barry Shimmin-Clarke said:

Well done Allan I saw you finish on Ironman Live and you were dancing around as if you could have done another 10km. Well done on a great time

• bennysmith said:

Screw that Al- you’re not here to f@$k spiders.

You keep talking like that and you’ll grow a gut and start pushing a mouse around like me.

You’ll outlast them.

• YoYo said:

Did your retirement speech include references to ‘Several stellar Performances’ ?

Good job Al, since i joined the ECC Wrecking Crew when you boys returned from Kona ’01 (u still have nightmares about the wind that year?), you’ve aged a bit and dont go up hills so good anymore 😉 but i reckon you are fitter, faster and wiser than back then…………

• rob said:

well done. the knowledge bible keeps on a growing.

• George Hulse said:

I’ll take that inspiration about no sushi eaters in front of you when I do Busso 10, Al. I just need to hunt down a guy who trains by running the Nullabor for fun. Nice work to have finished Kona, even nicer work to keep the Cycos up to the mark to compete in Ironman as our coach and leader. You use the best leadership model on the planet – you lead by example!

Electric bikes for adults Pedal Assist

The day after – Kona 2010 | ALLAN PITMAN TRIATHLON COACHING

Leave your response!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: